The changes from Anime to live-action
- Dr. Sado changes from a overweight man to a thin women, but the cat is there.
- Yuki is completely changed, from a nurse/radar operator to a hot-stick Blacktiger fighter pilot
- Analyzer (IQ9) is a hip-pocket computer now, and then, oddly, becomes a R2D2-like robot with machine-guns at the battle of Gamilon. Odd.
- The Cosmo DNA machine, recovered on Iscandar, is now some sort of spirit that enters into Yuki during the battle on Gamilon. Odd...again.
- The origin message from Iscandar did not include a cure for the recovery of Earth, but Captain Okita added it in to motivate the crew.
- The Gamilus are now some sort of insect, with a groupthink ability.
- The new Gamilus seem to use organic-based technology.
- The underground cities of Earth are much darker than the Anime verison.
- More women onboard the Yamato, than just Yuki.
- The uniforms are similar on top, but regular military pants...sorry no bell-bottoms this time.
- The movie combines elements of original Space Cruiser Yamato movie and Arrivederci Yamato.
- Susumu Kodai is not in the EDF, instead is collecting metal on the barren surfaces of the Earth when the film starts, but he was a hot shit pilot when the war started.
- Most of the stories along the way to Iscandar are thrown out, and most of the events onIscandar are thrown out as well
- It seems to take only a few warps to reach Iscandar
- The Yamato seems to be gone far less time than the year it took in the original Anime series
- Sanada and Shima are far less than main characters than in the Anime, but Kato's role was expanded to being a lead.
- The battle of Plato (where the Gamilons have their main base) is now the battle of Mars, and Yuki is present.
- The probe-ship from Iscandar crash-lands on Earth not Mars, and it is pilot less.
- There seemingly is no battle for the Sol system or the origin of the meteorites, like the second battle of Pluto in the Anime.
- The EDF is planning on evacing Earth if the Yamato mission fails.
Should you buy/rent/watch Space Battleship Yamato?