08 October 2010

William's Top 5 Sci-Fi Movies

Here are my Top Five sci-fi films of all time. I wanted to post these, along with my Top Five war films to allow readers on my POV on military sci-fi

BLADE RUNNER


During the era of Star Trek and Star Wars came the sci-fi that gave us a dark retrofitted vision of the future. This movie introduced me to Ridley Scott and what something darker that singlehandly redefined by ideas of the future. I could never fully explain the impact that this, my favorite film of all time, had on me.



ALIENS

THE military sci-fi classic film, and is my most watched film (101 times and counting!). This film is prefect, having everything, from caseless rifles, dropships, and Michael Biehn. Like Blade Runner, Aliens gave a darker more real sci-fi movie that's rarely seen in sci-fi works. I mean, how cool is the scene when Hicks gives the alien warrior a migraine headache?

PREDATOR

The only Arnold Schwarzenegger film I own, and the reason I smile every time I hear 'Long Tall Sally' . One my favorite parts of this masterwork is when Poncho and Billy are talking:
"I'm scared Poncho."
"Bullshit, you ain't afraid of no man"
"There's something out there, and ain't no man. We're all going to die"
The last thing I have to say is: "GET TO DA CHOPPA!"
Simply greatness.


TERMINATOR


If someone would describe the basic plot of The Terminator, then you would be laughed at. But, this movie (due to the skill of the actors, and James Cameron), is more than the sum of its parts. The future war of 2029 haunted me for most of my childhood, and so far, no one has made a good film on the war in 2029...oh, and it has Michael Biehn.


GHOST IN THE SHELL
Anime features are hit-or-miss, especially before the Anime/Manga crazy of the last few years. In the 1990's, this was the Citizen Kane of Anime, while Akira reguarded has the first Anime film to cross over to mainsteam, it is a mess at the end, while Ghost in the Shell is hard-edged with gun play, philosophically waxing, and one of the best concepts in cyberpunk. By the way, the original version is still the best over the new 2.0 version on DVD. Be sure to read the Manga Graphic Novel by Dark Horse, it is also greatness.

5 comments:

  1. With each conceivable response to existing inquiries we get more inquiries all things considered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is very open with a clear description of the issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was definitely informative. Your website is useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for sharing. Feel free to visit my website;

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'd make a top 30 list because i'd include some older sci fi films
    1. blade runner
    2. alien
    3. predator
    4. terminator
    5. the abyss
    6. battle beyond the stars
    7. the black hole
    8. dark star
    9. dune
    10. enemy mine
    11. forbidden planet
    12. flash gordon
    13. flight of the navigator
    14. the hidden
    15. star wars
    16. invaders from mars
    17. journey to the far side of the sun aka doppelganger
    18. the last starfighter
    19. lifeforce
    20. logan's run
    21. outland
    22. runaway
    23. silent running
    24. this island earth
    25. the day the earth stood still
    26. spacehunter adventures in the forbidden zone
    27. the thing & the thing from another world
    28. war of the worlds
    29. zardoz
    30. the 5th element

    ReplyDelete